Welcome to Hedgehogs Preschool. In our small setting children explore, play and learn within a nurturing and calm environment with the support of our Preschool Manager Miss Gower and our Preschool Assistant Mrs Mills. The Hedgehogs team strives to provide stimulating and inspiring activities, all of which are designed with the child's interests and needs in mind. Our wonderful setting includes a fantastic role play area, a calm corner which enables children to read and reflect and a variety of resources. Come rain or shine we ensure free-flow access to our outdoor area, where children can ride bikes, scooters and tractors! We have a sand pit filled with diggers, buckets and spades and we have a great mud kitchen allowing children to get messy and make the most delicious mud pies!
Horning Hedgehogs Preschool is set within the grounds of Horning Primary School in the beautiful village of Horning. The preschool has a lovely big outdoor area which is used come rain or shine as our door is always open. The preschool is run with the ethos that children learn through play and we practitioners plan in the moment and ahead based on this. " The most powerful moments are not planned in writing, the practitioner responds in the moment". We strive to provide a safe, enriching & enabling environment to allow the children to learn, grow, develop & flourish. We work extremely hard to meet parents expectations and hope that we exceed them. Our goal is to give each individual child the opportunities to develop and grow as we know that the early years is the foundation building blocks to a child's development.
We are a small setting which allows a small ratio of children to practitioner giving each child/family a fantastic opportunity to develop a good relationship with their key worker. This allows us to work effectively and plan next steps for the children. The setting is managed by the Coastal Together Federation Governing Body and is registered for a maximum of 14 children per session aged 2 to school age; we maintain the correct ratio of adults to children as set out by Ofsted. All staff are appropriately qualified and DBS checked in accordance with statutory requirements. The school takes responsibility for the day to day administration of Horning Hedgehogs Pre-school; the Governors meet regularly and monitors all aspects of pre-school provision.
- To work in partnership with parents to enhance the development and education of children under statutory school age by offering opportunities for quality child centred play in a safe, happy, caring environment.
- To provide quality play facilities to enable children to gain confidence and independence
- To offer children and their parents a service which promotes equality and recognises diversity
Each child has an online Learning Story which includes photographs, observations and assessments helping us to celebrate individual achievements. This is a secure online portal accessed by invitation only via an email from the school following receipt of the safe use agreement; we actively encourage parents to contribute to these to build up a complete picture of your child’s learning.
We ask that children wear clothing appropriate for the activities on offer and that you do not send your child to pre-school in their best clothes. We paint, glue and dig and although protective clothing is provided we cannot be held responsible for spoilt clothes.
Current opening hours:
- Monday - 8.45-3.15
- Tuesday - 8.45-3.15
- Wednesday - 8.45-11.45
- Thursday - 8.45-3.15
Our curriculum is based on The Early Years Foundation Stage which begins at birth and continues to the end of the reception year in school and reflects the 4 overarching principles of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage; A Unique Child, Enabling Environments, Positive Relationships and Learning and Development.
The care and education offered by our setting helps children to continue to learn by providing them with interesting activities that are appropriate for their age and stage of development through
- Communication and Language: giving opportunities to experience a rich language environment, to speak and listen in a range of situations and develop confidence and skill in expressing themselves
- Physical Development: providing opportunities for children to be active and interactive develop co-ordination, control and movement and understand the importance of physical activity and making healthy food choices.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: helping children to have confidence in their own abilities, develop a positive sense of themselves and others, form positive relationships and develop social skills, a respect for others and an understanding of appropriate behaviour in groups.
- Literacy: encouraging children to link sounds and letters and begin to read and write.
- Mathematics: providing opportunities to develop skills in counting, problem solving, understanding and using numbers and describing shapes, spaces and measures.
- Understanding the World: guiding children to make sense of their physical world and community through exploring and observation.
- Expressive Arts and Design: playing and exploring a range of media and materials, providing opportunities for sharing thoughts and ideas in a variety of arts based activities
Funding and Fees:
15 hours per week free early years funding is available to all 3-year olds in the term following their 3rd birthday; some 2-year olds may also be entitled to early years funding in the term following their 2nd birthday, please ask for more information. Our hourly rate for non funded children and hours outside early years free funding is £4.50 per hour from September 2019. All booked sessions must be paid for irrespective of whether or not children attend; any notice of leaving less than 3 weeks will be charged at the usual sessional rate. Invoices are issued half termly in advance and payment should be made at the school office within the specified settlement terms.